Upcoming Public Meeting:
- City Council Committee-of-the-Whole is scheduled to meet August 15 at 6:00 pm in Council Chamber, 304 N. Church St. The purpose of the Committee-of-the-Whole meeting is to interview candidates for the open 4th Ward Council seat. City Council’s regularly scheduled business meeting will occur at 7:00 pm.
- Transit Advisory Committee is scheduled to meet August 16 at 1:30 pm in Council Chamber.
- Tree Commission is schedule to meet August 16 at 4:00 pm in Council Chamber.
- Bicycle Safety Commission is scheduled to meet August 16 at 6:00 pm in Council Chamber.
East Gypsy Lane/S. Main St. – Update
The portion of East Gypsy Lane that was previously closed to traffic has re-opened following paving. The focus of the project will now move to West Gypsy Lane Road with drainage work which is anticipated to be completed by the end of this week. Following the drainage installation, curbs and gutters will be installed, followed by paving. The traveling public should expect lane closures on southbound Main Street for the next couple of weeks, as well as, a new two lane traffic pattern on West Gypsy Lane.
Call the Engineering Division for more information, 419-354-6227.
National 8-1-1 Day
August 11 is National 8-1-1 Day. Since 2012, there have been nearly 1,000 facility damages in the Columbia Gas of Ohio’s service territory caused by people failing to have utilities located before they dug. 811 is our state’s free phone number for the general public and professional excavators to request that utilities mark the location of their underground facilities two business days prior to digging.
Visit the Columbia Gas of Ohio webpage to take the pledge!
Refuse and Recycling Regulations
City Council passed legislation at the August 1 City Council meeting updating Chapter 94 of the Bowling Green Codified Ordinances, which covers garbage and litter laws within the City. These changes were made by Council to help keep Bowling Green neighborhoods appealing and healthy as well as improving the efficiency of refuse/recycling collection. Some of these changes include:
- container lids shall be closed at all times. Containers with refuse above the rim may not be picked up.
- all containers shall be set at the curb with the lid opening facing the street with the lid fully closed, and all containers shall be removed from the right-of-way by 7:00 am the day following collection.
- on non-collection days, all refuse and recycling containers – including dumpsters – whether City or privately owned, shall be stored within an enclosed area or in the side or rear yard of the premises adjacent to the structure with the lid closed.
The changes have been posted to the City’s homepage. Call Public Works at 419-354-6227 or the Mayor/Municipal Administrator’s Office at 419-354-6204 for questions.
Discussion for Parents: What to Say about World Events
Please join Superintendent, Francis Scruci, for this very important night. Co-sponsored by NIOT BG and featuring experts from the community, including the Bowling Green Police Division, Wood County Library, Children’s Resource Center, Bowling Green City School District, and Bowling Green State University.
Newly Appointed BGPD Officers Sworn-In
On August 8, 2016, Mayor Richard Edwards swore-in three new Police Officers. Amber Moomey, Vincent Snyder, and Ryan Sehlhorst began work preparing for the Ohio Highway Patrol Police Academy, which will begin on August 15. The Academy is a 17-week course in Columbus where newly appointed officers learn the basic skills of a peace officer such as emergency vehicle operations, firearms proficiency and safety, self-defense tactics, physical conditioning, standardized field sobriety testing, electronic speed measuring devices, and more. A special emphasis of the course is placed on human relations training and communication.
Visit the City’s website for more information.