Upcoming Public Meetings:
- Board of Utilities is scheduled to meet April 23 at 5:00 pm in Council Chamber, 304 N. Church St.
- Parks and Recreation Board is scheduled to meet April 24 at 7:00 pm in the Simpson Building, 1291 Conneaut Ave.
- Charter Review Committee is scheduled to meet April 26 at 4:00 pm in Council Chamber.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Tribute
The re-scheduled tribute to Martin Luther King, Jr. will occur on April 27 at 1:00 pm in the Wood County District Public Library, 251 N. Main St. The tribute is sponsored by the City of Bowling Green Human Relations Commission and will feature keynote speaker and Tuskegee Airman, Dr. Harold Brown, as well as Dr. Marsha Bordner. Drs. Brown and Bordner’s presentation is titled – “Keep Your Airspeed Up: The Story of a Tuskegee Airman”. Musical selections will be performed by the BGHS Madrigals along with Sheila Brown and Kingdom M’Powerment Praise Team.
Also at the event, the Human Relations Commission will present the annual Drum Major for Peace Award, named in honor of Dr. King.
City Receives Arbor Day Foundation Awards
The Arbor Day Foundation has named the City of Bowling Green a 2017 Tree City USA in honor of its commitment to effective urban forest management. The City also received a Tree City USA Growth Award for demonstrating environmental improvement and higher level of tree care. This is the 38th year Bowling Green has been recognized as a Tree City and the 24th time the City has received the Growth Award.
Check out the rest of this news release on the City’s website!
Brown Bag Music Series
The final Brown Bag Music Series of the season is scheduled to occur April 20 at the Simpson Building, 1291 Conneaut Ave, from 11:45 am – 1:00 pm. The performance by “Opera Scenes, featuring singers from the BGSU Opera Theatre” will begin at 12:15 pm. Come and have your lunch while enjoying a musical performance in a comfortable and warm setting. Drinks and desserts will be available for purchase.
Call the Parks and Recreation Department for questions at 419-354-6223.
9th Annual Community Earth Day Celebration – April 22
April is Earth Month and multiple agencies are collaborating throughout Wood County to provide events geared toward conservation, education and family fun. The 9th Annual Community Earth Day Celebration will be the culminating event held on Sunday, April 22nd, 2018 from 2-4 pm. This free family event is open to all and is filled with fun hands-on learning stations.
Check out the rest of the Earth Day planned activities on the City’s website!
Bowling Green Tree Commission Photo Contest
The City of Bowling Green Tree Commission is kicking off its inaugural photo contest. The Commissioners want to raise awareness of Bowling Green’s Urban Forest that is found both on public and private property.
Throughout 2018 we are asking citizens to submit photos highlighting trees in three seasons of the year: spring, summer, and fall.
How the Contest Works:
- Submit any eligible photo on the Arborist section of the City website (https://www.bgohio.org/departments/public-works-department/arborist/).
- The contest will run until October 31.
- The Tree Commission will select the top photos from the tree categories: Spring, Summer, and Fall.
- The public can vote on the selected photos to choose the top overall photo in each category.
- Any amateur photographer residing in Bowling Green
- Photos must be taken within the Bowling Green City Limits
- Photos must be of a tree and not other landscape plants (i.e. shrubs, annuals, perennials, etc)
- The top photo in each category will receive a $25 gift certificate to one of the following: Bostdorff’s, Klotz Floral Design and Garden Center, or North Branch Nursery.
Questions about this contest may be directed to the City Arborist, Grant Jones at 419-353-4101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.