- Set the thermostat on the lowest comfortable setting and leave it alone.
- Insulate and weatherize your home properly.
- Close drapes or curtains at night and on cloudy days.
- When the sun is shining, open the drapes to let the natural warmth in.
- Keep doors and windows closed.
- Keep your furnace filters clean.
- Set the thermostat at the highest comfortable setting and leave it alone.
- When you’re at home, run a fan to help circulate the air.
- Check filters at least one a month. Clean or replace when necessary.
- Turn off unused lighting.
- Make sure your clothes dryer vents to the outside.
- Repair leaky faucets.
- Wash full loads of laundry and use cold water when possible.
- Always rinse clothes in cold water.
- Take quick showers rather than baths when possible.
- Turn off any lights not being used.
- Use fluorescent lights wherever possible.
- Do not use the oven as a heater.
- Tight-fitting lids on pots and pans make cooking faster.
- Worn door seals on your refrigerator or freezer will allow cold air to leak out.
- Keep the refrigerator condenser coils clean for efficiency (unplug before cleaning).