Provided four times per year!
Brush is defined by the City as anything having a bark covering (limbs, twigs, shrubs, shrub clippings, burning bushes/clippings etc.)
BRUSH COLLECTIONS for locations served by city refuse collection will occur the 3rd week of the months of APRIL, MAY, SEPTEMBER and OCTOBER. During these months, you must call 419-354-6227 to schedule a collection by the second Monday of these months.
Note: Please call in April for the April collection, call in May for the May collection, etc. This allows the City to coordinate efficient planning for collection by City crews.
You must call 419-354-6227 during the timeframes listed below in order to have your brush collected.
Call to Schedule Pick Up: April 1-April 8
Last Day to be Included on the Collection Route: Monday, April 8
Collection Begins (for scheduled addresses only): Monday, April 15
Call to Schedule Pick Up: May 1-May 13
Last Day to be Included on the Collection Route: Monday, May 13
Collection Begins (for scheduled addresses only): Monday, May 20
Call to Schedule Pick Up: September 2-September 9
Last Day to be Included on the Collection Route: Monday, September 9
Collection Begins (for scheduled addresses only): Monday, September 16
Call to Schedule Pick Up: October 1-October 14
Last Day to be Included on the Collection Route: Monday, October 14
Collection Begins (for scheduled addresses only): Monday, October 21
Please do not call to schedule a collection outside of these months.
After scheduling your pick up, please follow the guidelines below:
- Brush should be placed curbside LOOSELY, not bundled.
- Limbs in excess of 6” diameter and 6 feet in length will NOT be picked up.
- Stumps will not be collected.
- Brush mixed with leaves or other yard debris will not be collected.
- The City, at its discretion, will not collect entire tree(s) or bushes placed in the right of way as a result of work by a contractor or are of such size and multitude that it surpasses the intent of the Tree Clipping Ordinance 94.07.
- The intent is to collect reasonably sized brush piles: nothing larger than a pickup truck load and no smaller than a wheelbarrow load.
- If you live on a cul-de-sac street, please do not place brush in the cul-de-sac green space. This may risk blocking fire hydrants and it tends to create piles that are unmanageable for proper collection with City equipment.
- Do not place brush in your refuse or recycling container as this may lead to a citation.
- The placement of brush in the public right of way is not permitted unless it is part of the collection schedule as outlined above.
Missed a collection? The remainder of the year property owners may take brush to the Wood County Landfill for a fee. The Wood County Landfill’s phone number is (419)-352-0180.
Wood Chips: Wood chips from brush chipping are available at no charge to the public by calling (419) 354-6227. Local delivery only.
Downed Trees: When the city is called to clear the city right-of-way of downed trees, such as in a storm, if the trees are eventually determined to be private tree(s), the city may seek financial repayment from the owner of the tree(s) for labor, fuel and manpower costs. Thereupon, the expense of removing and clearing the right-of-way and all associated costs shall be billed to the property owner by regular mail with a cost breakdown. Upon failure to reimburse the city this amount within 30 days thereafter, the Council shall make written return to the County Auditor along with a request that such amount be entered upon the tax duplicate, to become a lien upon such lands from and after the date of entry, and to be collected as other taxes and returned to the city according to law. (City Ordinance 94.07 (D))
Any questions regarding the brush collection should be directed to the Public Works Department at 419-354-6227.