Do I need a permit for a temporary shed, or a shed on skids?

Yes; any accessory structure built or placed on a build-able lot in the City of Bowling Green requires a permit. There is a $25.00 one-time application fee.

Does my contractor need to be licensed?

There is no requirement for a license in order to obtain a Zoning permit, however; (A) Any work done in the City Right-of-Way requires a permit through the Public Works Department; (B) The Wood County Building Inspector inspects all building construction for the City of Bowling Green and may require a licensed contractor.

Do I need a permit for an inflatable swimming pool?

Yes; The City defines a swimming pool as any structure designed to contain at least 18 inches of water. Any such structure, whether permanent or temporary, requires a permit.  A new permit is not required every year, only if the pool changes in size or location.  The fee for a zoning certificate for a pool is $25.00.

I am replacing an existing fence. Do I need a permit?

Yes;  Please see Section 150.91 of the Codified Ordianances for fence regulations.  The fee for a zoning certificate for a fence is $25.00.

How close to the property line can I put my fence?

A fence can be built adjacent to the property line, however; it is your responsibility to ensure the location of your property line.  The City will not get involved in disputes concerning property line locations. It is recommended that you hire a Licensed Professional Surveyor in order to find the exact location of your property lines.

Is there a copy of previous site plan for my property in your office?

There may be copies of previous site plans in the files of the Planning Department, however; we do not guarantee the accuracy of the drawings.  Depending on the desired work, you may want to have your property surveyed by a Licensed Professional Surveyor to ensure the proper location of the work being done.

How close can my patio/driveway/sidewalk be to my property line?

Flat work, at existing grade, as described in this question can be located as close as (3′) three feet to the property line for single- or two-family dwellings.  The permit fee is $25.00.  However, if any of the work is proposed to be in the City Right-of-Way, a permit is also required through the Public Works Department.

Are there certain things that I am restricted from building on my property in my subdivision?

Some subdivisions have covenants or restrictions that are recorded in the Recorder’s Office located in the Wood County Court House.  The City does not enforce those items.

Do I have different rules since I live on a corner lot?

Yes; A corner lot has two (2) front yards, which does place more of a burden on them.

I am replacing the sign face at my business location ~ no increase in the sign dimensions ~ Do I need a new permit?

Yes. The fee for a zoning certificate for a sign is $50.00.

How many signs are allowed for a Commercial Business?

Each Commercial Business is permitted no more than three (3) signs.  Please see Section 150.66(E)(1) of the Codified Ordinances.  The application fee for a zoning certificate for a sign is $50.00.

How soon after an application has been submitted can I begin work?

Work cannot begin until you have an approved application. The application is required to be signed by four (4) different Departments, once all of the Departments have signed the application, the permit can be mailed to your address, emailed to you, or  you may come in and pick it up.  At that time you are permitted to begin the work.  In the event that the work requires a permit from the Wood County Building Inspector, , you will be required to give them a copy of your approved Zoning Permit.

Who do I make the check out to? Does the Planning Commission Department accept credit cards?

All checks submitted to the Planning Department need to be made out to “The City of Bowling Green”.  The Planning Department will accept exact cash or checks only.

Can I park my car in my yard?

Parking in the City of Bowling Green is permitted on a hard, dustless surface only, with the exception of a pre-existing (prior to 1975) gravel drive.  Please see Section 98.17 of the Codified Ordinances.  Parking violations are subject to citations.

I live in an area zoned R-3, Multi-Family - How many people can live in my house?

In any single-family dwelling, in the City of Bowling Green, you are only permitted to have 3 non-related individuals ~ unless there is a pre-existing non-conforming use on record – you can check with our office to determine the legal use of a property.

Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?

You do not need a permit to have a garage sale on your property. However, if you plan to place signs in the public right-of-way (generally the area between the street and the sidewalk), you do need a permit.  The Municipal Administrator’s Office has an application for temporary signs in the City Right-of-Way.

Is it a law that I have to have the address displayed on my home or business?

Yes; Please see Section 152.12 of the Codified Ordinances.

I received a letter/warning citing the fact that I have an inoperable vehicle. What are the determining factors that make my vehicle inoperable?

Please see Section 70.40 of the Codified Ordinances.

I received a letter/warning citing the fact that I have tall grass or noxious weeds. I do not understand what this means.

Please see Section 99.20 of the Codified Ordinances.  The Codified Ordinances constitutes grass eight inches or more in height and noxious weeds, as defined by the Ohio Director of Agriculture, a health hazard and/or nuisance to the occupants of neighboring properties.  There is also an informational handout you can view by clicking the above link.

My dog lives outside and the neighbors have informed me that he barks all of the time, am I violating any laws?

Potentially; Please see Section 90.03  of the Codified Ordinances.

I am selling my home - am I allowed to place a sale sign between the curb and the sidewalk?

No; Please see Section 150.65(B) of the Codified Ordinances.

I received a citation from a Code Enforcement Officer. What do I do next?

Please follow the instructions on the citation.  Do not call the Planning Department, we are not able to provide you with any information or assist you with any questions.  You can also visit the City Prosecutor’s website for more information.