- REGISTER ONLINE
- INTEREST LIST
- Family & Friends Nature Hikes
- Volunteer Gardening at Bowling Green Parks and Recreation
- Program Requests
- Discovery Kits
Animated and enlightening, these nature programs are a great way to experience the City’s largest natural area. Come mingle with the wildlife through guided hikes and activities outdoors.
Garden beds in Simpson Garden Park and City Park need volunteer help – watering, mulching, weeding, and planting. Experienced and novice gardeners are both welcome. Please join us at one or more of these work sessions.
|Day of the Week||Date||Time|
Work sessions begin at the Simpson Garden Park garage, located next to the Simpson Building at 1291 Conneaut Avenue, Bowling Green. A staff person will be on site. Gardening work clothes and sun protection are advised. Gardening tools will be available, but you are welcome to use your own. Bring a friend!
Finding time to attend a nature program can be difficult with our busy, complicated schedules. The Family and Friends Nature Hike lets you pick a day and time that works for your group and a park staff member. This program is designed to provide access to the Nature Center and the preserve at your convenience on evenings and weekends. Tell us what you want to explore or leave the theme up to us. Topics may include: mammals, birds, bugs, geology, trees or flowers. We can even do night hikes! You decide!
How to Schedule a Hike:
Allow for 1.5 hours – $25 / Hike (Residents) – $35 / Hike (Non-Residents)
- Find another family or more (we can accommodate up to 5 families at a time) and find some common times that work for your group.
- Make sure all the families have signed a P&R Liability Waiver for the current year (this can all be completed online or in person at the Community Center).
- Designate one person to contact the Nature Center and arrange a time for your hike. After the hike is scheduled you may pay in advance by cash, check or credit card or bring cash or check to the program.
- Bring fixings for s’mores if you so desire!
Year round general nature hikes and nature programs are available upon request at your convenience for any school or community group. Programs are designed to meet your needs for volunteer hours, naturalist and forestry scout badges, and to supplement your curriculum. Contact the naturalists directly to set up a program today! Contact the staff of the Rotary Nature Center at the Wintergarden/St. John’s Nature Preserve by phone: 419-353-0301 or email Chris Gajewicz: or Cinda Stutzman: for more information. We look forward to serving you!
Stop by the Rotary Nature Center, Mondays through Fridays, 8 AM to 5 PM to pick up a Discovery Kit to take with you on your family hike. The kit contains children’s binoculars, field guides, insect nets and exploration guidelines for “treading lightly.”