How does the Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) process work?

The procedure is outlined in the Bowling Green Historic and Architectural Preservation Code. It is suggested that an informal discussion occur with the HPC in order to become familiar with the process and project prior to submitting the Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) (PDF). If a COA is submitted within 15 days of the next HPC meeting, it will be reviewed at that meeting, and the Commission will immediately determine if the desired work meets the Standards. A Zoning Certificate (contact the Planning Department to check at 419-354-6218 or Email Planning) may also be required for major alterations or construction. If the COA (and Zoning Certificate, if applicable) are approved -- the work may commence. If denied, the HPC will offer recommendations for improving the scope to meet the Standards. Appeals of the decision may be made to the Zoning Board of Appeals. Reference Section 158.07

Show All Answers

1. Why is Historic Preservation Important to our community?
2. Where do I find the Historic and Architectural Preservation ordinance?
3. What does the Historic and Architectural Preservation Ordinance do?
4. What is required to follow the Historic and Architectural Preservation ordinance?
5. What is the difference between a National Register Listing and a Local Listing?
6. How do I list (locally designate) my property or a district?
7. What are the benefits of my home being locally designated?
8. What are the benefits of my commercial or multi-unit structure being locally designated?
9. Is a non-contributing property or building in a Historic District subject to the same rules as contributing properties?
10. How does the Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) process work?
11. Can I appeal the Historic Preservation Commission’s decision on my Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) application?
12. How long is a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) valid?
13. What are examples of major exterior work reviewed through a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)?
14. What are examples of exterior work NOT regulated through a Certificate of Appropriate (COA)?
15. Is a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) required to repair or replace an exterior, non-historic, deteriorated wooden architectural feature on my historically significant house?
16. For a resident considering a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) request for major reconstruction of a front porch, is it necessary to appear in front of the HPC?
17. If I need to replace my front steps or sidewalk, will I be required to obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)?
18. What restrictions will be required for landscaping?
19. Will I need to conform to historic standards when planting trees or shrubs?
20. Can I install a central air conditioning unit or window air conditioners?
21. Does a swimming pool need a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) approval?
22. Is a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) required to demolish a historically significant locally listed property, whether listed individually or within a historic district?