Large Item Pickup
LARGE ITEM COLLECTION
For locations served by city refuse collection per city ordinance, the Large Item Pick up will be conducted to collect furniture, appliances, mattresses, and similar household items which are too heavy, or of such composition or configuration, that they cannot be handled by the automated refuse collection process.
- Refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners will NOT be picked up by City refuse crews.
- Mattresses/box springs will be collected for an
additional fee. The fee is $25 for the first mattress or
box spring and $15 per mattress or box spring thereafter up to a total
of 3. The fee must be paid prior to collection at 304 N Church St-
Public Works office. Phone: 419-354-6227.
- No more than three mattresses or box spring sets per address will be collected.
- Tires will NOT be collected.
- By law, the City is not authorized to pick up building materials, construction or demolition refuse, sod, and rocks. These items may be taken to the Wood County Landfill.
- Carpeting and padding must be cut up and rolled into bundles not to exceed 4 feet in length or 18 inches in diameter. Bundles must be tied with rope or cord heavy enough to support the weight of the bundle.
- Swing sets will be picked up curbside, but they must be broken down and dismantled for collection and will be accepted only during Large Item Pickup. Any concrete will be cut from the swing set poles and not be collected.
- Small items left at the curb which could be placed or fit into the City provided refuse container, will not be collected.
- Items placed in the City right of way not in conformance with this
collection process will be considered litter and would be in violation
of City Ordinance 94.21.
To allow a more efficient Large Item collection process, it is encouraged that small items be placed in the refuse containers for weekly collection.
During the announced collection week, there will be one citywide sweep of all four wards.
- NOTE: Pickup is by WARD and NOT by your normal refuse collection
day. City Crews will collect the Large Items throughout the City
independent of the normal refuse collection schedule.
- Once the crew has completed a street, they will not return.
- To ensure collection of your large items, it MUST be placed curbside by 7AM ON MONDAY of the scheduled collection week. However, items should not be placed curbside any earlier than 5pm on the Sunday before the scheduled collection week.
Wood County Landfill information:
15320 Tontogany Road Bowling Green OH. Directions: proceed 5 miles west of Bowling Green on State Route 6 to Tontogany Road, then turn north on Tontogany Road. The landfill operates Mon-Fri 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM, and Saturday 8:00am to noon and charges a fee. The Wood County Landfill's phone number is (419)-352-0180.
LARGE ITEM PICKUP SERVICE during other times of the year:
Special pickup of Large Items at any other time of the year can be made upon request for a fee PER EACH ITEM by calling the Public Works office 419-354-6227.
- The fee is $25 for the first item and $15 per item thereafter.
Remember: refrigerators, dehumidifiers, freezers and air conditioners,tires etc. will NOT be picked up by the City.
Click on the Schedule and Holidays tab to the left for the dates of BRUSH COLLECTION.
Brush is defined by the City as anything having a bark covering (limbs, twigs, shrubs, shrub clippings, burning bushes/clippings etc.)
For locations served by city refuse collection per city ordinance, limbs and brush will be picked up curbside in October. Click on the Schedule & Holidays tab to the left of this page for dates of Brush Collection.
- Brush should be placed curbside LOOSELY, not bundled.
- Stumps and limbs in excess of 18" diameter and 10' in length
will NOT be picked up.
- The City, at its discretion, will not collect entire tree (s)
placed in the right of way as a result of work by a contractor or are
of such size and multitude, that it surpasses the intent of the Tree
Clipping collected Ordinance 94.07.
- Brush mixed with leaves or other yard debris will not be
- Pickup is by WARD and NOT by your normal refuse collection day. Crews will collect brush independent of the normal refuse collection schedule. Once the crew has completed a street, they will not return.
- The placement of brush in the public right of way is not
permitted until one week prior to the announced collection start
date- see schedule link.
- To ensure pick up of your brush, it MUST be placed curbside by 7am on MONDAY of the scheduled collection week (see Schedule & Holidays for details).
Wood chips from brush chipping are available at no charge to the public by calling (419) 354-6227. Local delivery only.
The remainder of the year, property owners may take brush to the Wood County Landfill for a fee. The Wood County Landfill's phone number is (419)-352-0180.
Any questions regarding the brush pickup should be directed to the Public Works Department at 419-354-6227.
Click on the Schedule and Holidays tab to the left for the dates of LEAF COLLECTION.
For locations served by city refuse collection per city ordinance, LEAVES will be picked up during the announced Fall Leaf Program through a special collection.
- They should be placed loose (not in bags) at the curbside.
- As part of the City Storm Water Management policy, DO NOT RAKE LEAVES INTO THE STREET! This blocks street drainage during rain events. Also, there is a risk of parked cars with warm exhaust systems catching on fire when parked over dry leaves. Children also tend to play in leaves making this a dangerous situation.
- Do not put brush or branches with the leaves as it will not be collected.
- Garden/Yard Waste/Grass/Leaves can be taken to the City Yard Waste drop-off site for those who are eligible to receive City refuse collection. It is open daily from 8am -8pm. The site is located behind the Public Works garage on Tarragon Drive (off of E. Poe Road). The area is under video surveillance and illegal dumping may result in a fine. This site does NOT accept brush (anything with a bark covering).
The past attitude toward leaves was that they were like litter. Now many people see them as an asset if returned to the yard and environment. Try to manage leaves on the property in this fashion to save time and energy used to collect leaves at the street. As an alternative, please consider using a recycling mower to return shredded leaves back into your yard. Grass clippings and finely chopped leaves add vital nutrients and organic matter to the lawn, thus improving the health of the lawn.
For locations served by city refuse collection per city ordinance,CHRISTMAS TREES will be picked up through a special one week collection in January.
- The trees should be placed curbside by 7am the Monday of the scheduled collection week. Please remove all metal nails, lights and tree stands. Trees should not be left in bags. Once crews complete a street, they will not return. Watch the local media for details. See Schedule & Holidays for dates of collection.