Refuse & Recycling
- Bowling Green
Recycling Center's 24 Hour Drop Off Program
City Of Bowling Green
Solid Waste Collection Regulations
- WASTE MATERIALS including recyclables, garbage, and refuse will be collected from 1 & 2 family dwellings on City streets per city ordinance once a week at the curb. Refuse/recycling collection is on a four day collection schedule. See the Refuse/Recycling map for your collection day. (Link)
- REFUSE AND RECYCLING CONTAINERS SHALL BE PLACED CURB SIDE no sooner than 5:00 pm the day prior, but no later than 7:00 am on your collection day. NOTE: Refuse placed curbside before 5:00 pm the day prior to collection may result in a citation. The City cannot guarantee pickup of items placed curbside after 7:00 am. All containers must be removed from rights-of-way within 24 hrs. following collection. Failure to follow these regulations are subject to fine.
- HOLIDAY SCHEDULES AND SPECIAL COLLECTIONS are announced in the local media and can be viewed by clicking on the Schedule and Holidays tab. Be sure to watch for special item collection and for any changes in the pickup schedule that may occur due to inclement weather.
- DO NOT FILL ABOVE THE TOP OF THE CONTAINERS. This helps to
keep the lid closed to keep out moisture and to prevent the lid from
flopping open which leads to lid damage.
- DO NOT PLACE ANYTHING YOU WISH TO KEEP anywhere near the trash containers. It may be considered rubbish and taken away during heavy trash item weeks.
Acceptable Trash Containers
- REFUSE and RECYCLING MATERIAL shall only be placed in a CITY PROVIDED refuse/recycling container. If you have any questions regarding this requirement please call 419-354-6227. Additional refuse/recycling containers may be purchased through the City at the expense of the owner. Lost or stolen containers should be reported to the Bowling Green Police Division at 419-352-2571. Replacement containers may be purchased by calling Public Works at 419-354-6227.
Prohibited Waste Items
- THE FOLLOWING MATERIAL WILL NOT BE COLLECTED: Dead animals, grass,sod, and related yard waste, hot ashes or burning embers, rocks or large stones; construction and/or demolition materials; flammable liquids; paint; poisonous or explosive substances other than garbage, refuse, and rubbish. Brush, leaves and Christmas Trees should not be placed into the containers.
- Old paint must be dried up before collection. You
can either mix it with kitty litter until solidified or you can brush
residual out on a plywood board.
Environmental Recycling, located at 527 E. Woodland Circle, Bowling Green, will accept latex and non-latex, old and new paint for proper disposal. This business charges a fee for disposal, so you may want to call first for rates. The contact number is 800-284-9107.
- NOTE: The City cannot pickup any appliance that contains refrigerants! These items include refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, and air conditioners. Please call 419-354-6227 for a list of local dealers who are certified to provide this service.
- GARDEN/YARD WASTE will NOT be picked up curbside. You may take these items to the Wood County Landfill for a fee. The Wood County Landfill phone number is (419)-352-0180.
- GRASS CLIPPINGS are prohibited from being dumped into the Wood County Landfill. However, the Landfill does have a process to recycle the grass clippings, therefore it is accepted at the Landfill for a fee. Grass will NOT be picked up by City crews. The City encourages residents to either mulch, compost, or leave grass clippings on the lawn.
Garden/Yard Waste/Grass/Leaves can be taken to the City Yard Waste drop-off site for those who are eligible to receive City refuse collection. It is open daily from 8am -8pm. The site is located behind the Public Works garage on Tarragon Drive (off of E. Poe Road). The area is under video surveillance and illegal dumping may result in a fine. This site does NOT accept brush (anything with a bark covering).
LARGE ITEM PICKUP (Also see HEAVY ITEM PICKUP on previous page):
Bulk or large items such as furniture, stoves, TV's, washers, dryers, hot water heaters, etc. will be picked up by the city during announced heavy item collection weeks. Watch your newspaper for the exact date or click on the Schedule & Holidays tab to the left. Special pickup of these items at any other time of the year can be made upon request for a fee PER EACH ITEM by calling 419-354-6227. The fee is $25 for the first item and $15 per item thereafter.
Remember: refrigerators, dehumidifiers, freezers and air conditioners etc. WILL NOT BE PICKED UP by the City.
- CARPETING AND PADDING must be cut up and rolled into bundles not to exceed 4 feet in length or 18 inches in diameter. Bundles must be tied with rope or cord heavy enough to support the weight of the bundle.
- SWING SETS will be picked up curbside, but they must be broken down and dismantled for collection and will be accepted only during Bulk or Large Item Collection. Concrete will be cut from the swingset poles and not collected.
For LEAF COLLECTION, CHRISTMAS TREE PICKUP and BRUSH PICKUPS:
See previous Public Works Division page for details.
SEEDS FROM MAPLE TREES (helicopters), nuts, buckeyes and the like are considered garbage and may be placed in the refuse containers. Please place these items curbside for regular pickup.
Four Day Refuse/Recycling collection: click this link to see which collection day is yours. ( link to map)
*Please Note per city ordinance:
The City collects refuse and recyclables from 1 & 2 family dwelling units on public streets within the City's limits. The City does NOT collect waste from business, commercial, industrial or institutional units; nor from private residential communities, BGSU, apartments and mobile homes.